These egg rolls are the result of the perfect marriage. They are the love child between the chicken bacon rolls from CPK and the avocado rolls from The Cheesecake Factory. Both of those rolls are glorious on their own, but together they created something even better. The avo rolls lack texture in the filling, while the chicken rolls are marred by the flavor of well, chicken (I’m a vegetarian except bacon). Solution, skip the chicken, add avo and bacon, and you are left with a perfectly crispy, creamy, slightly salty egg roll. Of course, if you are a real vegetarian, they are still great without the bacon too!
This was my first time making eggrolls. It was surprisingly easy. The rolls don’t have to be perfectly shapped. Wrapping them up is a bit like wrapping Christmas presents. If you’ve ever received a present from me, you know that I’m not the best at wrapping, but I was still able to make it work! Follow the pictures below or watch this video for a how-to on the rolling process.
Now onto the dipping sauce. What’s a good egg roll without a nice complimentary sauce? This sauce is one of my favorite parts of this recipe! It packs a strong cilantro flavor which I absolutely love. Cilantro tastes so fresh and clean to me, I can’t get enough. Although I know there are some people out there that absolutely hate cilantro. If you are a cilantro hater, you could try making the sauce with dill or parsley instead. The sauce is actually quite healthy. I subbed greek yogurt for sour cream and you would never know.
This recipe is adapted from Damn Delicious.
Have you ever made egg rolls before? Are you a cilantro lover or hater?
- 3 avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- juice of ½ of a lime
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
- 8-10 egg roll wrappers
- 1-2 cups canola oil, enough to cover pan 1.5" deep
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of ½ lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the dipping sauce, combine cilantro, yogurt, jalapeno, mayonnaise, garlic and lime juice in a food processor; season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Dry on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado. Add tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Working one at a time, place about ⅓ of a cup of avocado mixture in the center of each wrapper. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top of avocado. Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper tightly over the filling, folding in the sides. Continue rolling until the top of the wrapper is reached. Using your finger, rub the edges of the wrapper with water, pressing to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and avocado mixture.
- Working in batches, add egg rolls to the skillet with hot oil and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Flip once half-way through cooking. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm with cilantro dipping sauce.