All I want for my birthday (it’s today) is this bread and world peace. Is that too much to ask? Well, at least I’m getting one. This bread is every bit as magical as it looks. In my opinion there is nothing better than warm fresh bread, except maybe warm fresh bread covered in cheese and garlic butter. Maybe. Definitely.
Aside from being amazingly delicious, this recipe is amazingly simple. Probably the hardest part IMO is washing the pan that had melted butter in it. If you are hosting a party this would be the perfect appetizer. If you are going to a party this bread would also be great to bring, just make sure you can heat it up in the oven at your friends house. It needs to be served nice and warm.
let’s talk about bread. I’m definitely on team whole grain. However, there is a lot of interesting new research about sourdough bread. Some studies show that it is better for blood sugar control than whole wheat bread. It also has a lower glycemic index and higher protein content than some varieties of whole wheat bread. Also, it tastes good 🙂 If you are not a sourdough fan you can use French bread or some type of whole grain round, but make sure that the bread is hardy because it has to withstand some cutting without getting smooshed. And smooshed bread is a travesty, just ask my Mom.
Whichever type of bread you decide to go with, I highly recommend that you make this pull-apart bread. Make it whether or not you have an event to go to. I ate mine for lunch. Not exactly well rounded, but you gotta blog when the light is right for taking pictures. And today the light was right at 12 PM.
What is your favorite type of bread? Do you love bread as much as I do?
- 1 sourdough round or rustic bread
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp butter
- fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2- 3/4 block fresh mozzarella or jack cheese, small dice (any cheese you like is fine)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine garlic cloves, parsley, and pepper in a food processor until you have small pieces (or chop and mix by hand)
- Put the mix of the ingredients in a small saucepan with the butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted. Cook around 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. With a serrated knife, make diagonal cuts on the bread, making sure that you do not cut all the way through the bread. Cutting diagonals into 2 ways opposite, you will have diamond shapes on the crust.
- Cut the cheese slices into a small rectangles
- With your fingers, separate and open each cut on the crust to drizzle the garlic and pepper butter with a spoon.
- Place the diced cheese in the cuts too. Put the bread on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Cover the bread completely with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately.