One day when I was in Panama I went to the Boquete Sandwich shop and ordered french toast and cream of broccoli soup. (Yes I realize that is a weird combo) But it was the best lunch. It was the best soup. All was perfect, until I got the bill. And I realize “no tengo dinero!!” (I don’t have money). I start panicking a little bit, thinking surely I’m doomed for a day in a Panamanian jail, or at the very least scrubbing dishes. In the end, I just tell them I don’t have money and walk to the nearest bank to fetch some Balboas. Crises averted.
That soup stayed with me though. I knew that as soon as I got home I had to remake this creamy dreamy broccoli soup. When Blue Diamond asked me to use their cashew milk blend in a recipe I thought this soup would be perfect. All of the creamy broccoli flavor, without all those calories that come from full fat cream or half-n-half. Unsweetened Cashew Milk Blends only has 25 calories per cup, hollaaa!!
Let’s talk about nutritional yeast. Sorry, I know that was abrupt, but I don’t think there is a smooth transition into yeast. I have seen nutritional yeast in other recipes, I’ve read about its amazing health benefits, (hellooo B12, protein and fiber) but I’ve never tried it. The name alone is a little off putting to me. However, I broke my rules for this soup, Ina Garten recommended it, and I have a hunch she knows what she is talkin’ about. It’s true, I tried the soup pre-nutritional yeast, it was good, but lacking just a little something. Then I added those yeasty yellow flakes, and bam!! Total flavor transformation. It was savory, cheesy, and broccoli-ey. Everything that vegan broccoli cheese-less soup should be!
If you are a newcomer to nutritional yeast like myself, you can buy it at any health food store. I got mine at Sprouts! It looks like little yellow flakes. It’s pictured in the tablespoon in the photo above.
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze Almondmilk. Enter for a chance to win the Ultimate Kitchen Prize Pack, get great savings and ideas for delicious Blendabilities at AlmondBreezeBlendabilities.com
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stocks celery, chopped
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 small white potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup unsweetened Blue Diamond Almondmilk Cashewmilk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- red pepper flakes for topping (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until light brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the celery, garlic and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, 4 cups water and ½ teaspoon salt, raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Return the heat to medium, cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, cover and cook until the broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender; add the cashew milk and puree until smooth, leaving the filler cap slightly open to let steam escape (or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender, this is what I did).
- Return the soup to the saucepan and bring to a simmer; stir in the nutritional yeast and nutmeg. Add water if needed to adjust consistency and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with red pepper flakes, nutritional yeast, or cheese if you are not vegan 🙂
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/vegan-cream-of-broccoli-soup.html?oc=linkback