Do you have gluten-free visitors for the holidays? Are you looking for something that tastes indulgent but is actually super healthy? This bread is your answer. It’s fudgey, it’s grain free, it’s chai tea latte-esque, and the best part, it’s made with an entire avocado! An avocado replaces any added fat that would usually come from oil or butter in a quick bread.
This bread is gluten free. But I want you to know that I am 100% not against gluten. I just like experimenting in the kitchen. Almond flour is pretty popular right now, so I figure I better figure out what all of the hype is about. This was my first time ever baking with almond flour. And I’m not gonna lie, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price tag for it at the grocery store. $13.99 for a bag of almond flour!!?? What the heck. Maybe it is cheaper at specialty stores? If you have the almond flour hook up let me know.
Anyway, I proceed to buy the almond flour (AF) after a serious internal struggle. I decide to make two loaves, one with AP flour and one with AF. I had seriously convinced myself that this recipe would be just as good or better with AP flour. To my surprise, I was dead wrong. This recipe was made for AF and you should stick to it. With the AF it stays moist and fudgey. With AP flour the batter is really thick and stickey, and somehow less chocolatey. The final product with AP flour comes out dry and the flavor is just not quite right. So yes, the almond flour is worth it. But I’m fairly certain it can be bought for a better price at other places. Perhaps Trader Joes?
I mentioned earlier this bread is chai-like. That flavor comes from the cardamom, which is delicious (In my opinion). If you are not a chai lover I would consider reducing the cardamom to 1/4 teaspoon instead of 1/2 teaspoon.
Recipe from Avocadocentral.com.
Have you ever baked with almond flour before? Do you know where I can buy it for less $$$?
- 1 large ripe Fresh Hass Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips or pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine almond flour, cocoa, salt, cardamom, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat avocado and sugar at medium speed until smooth. While beating, add eggs; beat on high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Fold dry ingredients into avocado mixture until blended; remove to prepared pan.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds or chocolate chips on top of batter.
- Bake 55 minutes; cool. Cut with sharp serrated knife for best results