Hola blog family! I just returned from a fabulous cruise to Mexico. That means I need a quick and stress-free recipe which will give me time to recover from those dang Pina Coladas. This recipe is delicious, nutty, and green for St. Patty’s day! I made these chocolate covered apples for a work presentation last week and they were gobbled up in two minutes flat. Strawberries and bananas are not the only fruit you can dip in chocolate people!
Speaking of chocolate, I am not a crazy chocoholic, but I am crazy about melting chocolate. I LOVE melting chocolate. It literally soothes my soul. I find it to be the most relaxing process. Get a massage, or melt chocolate? It’s literally a toss up. And I love massages. Watching the chocolate liquefy, stirring that velvety liquid slowly with your favorite wooden spoon, it just makes my heart fill with joy. In my younger years, I did have a few bouts of stressful burnt chocolate, but those days are long gone. Low and slow, that’s the key. Make sure you have high quality chocolate, chop it up a bit, turn the heat on very low and stir. You will have no problems. Personally, I don’t mess with that double boiler business. Overrated and not necessary (but it does work, if that’s your thing).
Before I forget, I need to give a big shout out to all my fellow Registered Dietitians. Happy RD Day all! This post was intended to go up much sooner than RD Day, but ya know, party cruises get in the way of blogging schedules sometimes. We have to make sure we celebrate each other as it’s not likely we are going to get any love from our company the way nurses and doctors do on their day. Am I right? To all of my fellow RD’s and RDN’s working in hospitals, school nutrition, public health, culinary, blogging and communications I would like to say you do make a difference and together we can make small changes that will have a big impact on the health of future generations. Later this month (National Nutrition month) I will be spotlighting some of my favorite RD Bloggers from around the web.
Now for the recipe!
- 3 green apples, sliced into wedges
- half of 12 ounce bag semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (any leftover chocolate works fine)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped pistachios
- fresh lemon juice to prevent browning
- Wash and slice apples.
- Squirt lemon juice on apples to prevent browning.
- Melt chocolate in a small sauce pan over low heat. Stir continuously.
- Once chocolate completely melted turn off heat.
- Line cookie sheet with tin foil for less mess.
- Dip ends of apples into chocolate, place on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle dipped apples with pistachios.
- Place in refrigerator to cool and harden.