Hi friends, as promised, I’m posting my perfect pesto pizza today! A tad late, but better late than never, right? Last week I went to dinner with some friends at Stonefire Grill and ordered Stonefire’s Favorite pizza. Oh my gosh, so soo good. As soon as I had it I knew I had to recreate it at home, so I could eat it all day, every day. Just kidding (kind of). The ticket to this pizza perfection is the pesto sauce and red onion. I recommend using my 5 minute pesto sauce, but store but will do in a pinch. That flavor combo is a winner for sure. Topped off with a little salty feta and creamy avocado, it doesn’t get much better than that. If you think avo on your pizza is weird, I dare you to try it. You won’t regret it!
I used whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joes, making this pizza slightly more nutritious. Their wheat crust is actually really good and not grainy at all. It’s by no means diet food, but two slices paired with a nice green salad would make a balanced meal in my opinion. Notice I didn’t say healthy. I recently read an interesting article titled “No food is healthy. Not even kale.” The author makes a valid point that the word healthy is bankrupt and really should not be used to describe food at all. A person can be healthy, a food is nutritious. If one were to eat only kale they would become very sick.
Alright, no more health talk. Go to Trader Joes, buy some pizza dough, and make this pizza. Don’t make it because it is healthy, or even nutritious. Just make it because it’s delicious and also because pizza is really fun to make.
Here’s a tip. If you have leftover pizza and you want to reheat it quickly don’t use the microwave! Come on guys, microwaved pizza is the worst. Stick that slice in the toaster, preferably a toaster oven (to avoid a melty cheese disaster). In college I saw this girl from the Humboldt Rugby team put her leftover pizza in the toaster, genius move. I mean, rugby players are all about drinking beer from a dirty, sweaty used rugby boot, but soggy pizza? No thanks! So much better and crispier from the toaster.
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough (whole wheat or white)
- Enough pesto sauce to lightly cover pizza
- Sliced fresh mozzarella cheese, or shredded
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- A few leaves torn fresh basil or cilantro
- Fresh ground pepper
- ½ avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Roll out pizza dough to 12” round.
- Place on pizza stone or baking sheet covered with tin foil (tin foil optional)
- Cover lightly with pesto sauce. Leave edge for crust.
- Sprinkle shredded or sliced mozzarella over pizza
- Add red onion, feta, and basil or cilantro
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbling and crust is golden brown
- Add diced avocado and fresh ground pepper.