There is something about quiche that just screams Mother’s Day Brunch. Am I right? This Mother’s Day say, “I Love You, Mom” with Potato Leek Quiche.
This quiche is veggie packed, meatless, and loaded with savory goodness. If your mom is the carnivorous type, feel free to throw in some diced ham or bacon. Or go halfsies and only put the meat on one side (this is what we often do in my house). Originally I planned to make this quiche with cottage cheese, which granted, seems a little weird, but all the healthy kids are doing it. Like this asparagus and leek quiche or this green chile and zucchini quiche with cottage cheese. After mixing all of the ingredients together, I found that the quiche filling was pretty much maxed out already, so I decided to forego the white lumpy stuff this time.
Traditionally, quiche is made with eggs, half n half, and some type of meat. I’m good with the eggs, but the other foods have just a little too much artery-clogging action going on. So I switched out the half-n-half for non-fat milk (you can also use 1% or 2%) and threw in some veggies instead of meat. Shallots and leeks are my favorite veggies from the onion family and they don’t even make you cry like regular onions, bonus! While potatoes are certainly not kale in terms of nutrient value, they are a great source of potassium. Did you know that one white potato has more potassium than a banana?
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green part only)
- 1 small cooked russet potato, pealed, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced, seeded if prefer more mild flavor
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups grated cheese (gruyere, pepperjack, or cheddar)
- Preheat the oven to 375. Press the crust into a 9 inch pie pan and pierce the bottom with holes with a fork.
- Bake crust for 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 on oven.
- Boil potato or cook in microwave for 10 minutes, until soft enough to be pierced by a fork. Dice leeks and shallots.
- Add oil to skilled over medium heat. When oil is hot add shallots, leeks, and pepper to pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in diced potatoes and cook one more minute.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs until fluffy.
- Add grated cheese, veggies, and flour mixture to eggs. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Bake the quiche for 40-45 minutes.