Move aside quinoa, there is a new grain in town. Farro. Farro has just as much protein and fiber as quinoa, but sadly, most people don’t even know it exists. I am hear to spread the farro love. Not only is it a nutritional superstar, but it’s soft, chewy and delightful. The flavor is kind of like a mash up between brown rice and barley. Trader Joe’s carries farro and it can be found in the grains section of most grocery stores.
In my opinion, one of the keys to a good salad is a fine dice on the greens. If you want to get fancy, chiffonade the basil. A chiffonade is just a culinary term for herbs or greens sliced into thin ribbons. It’s easier than it looks. Just stack the basil (or other green), roll, and slice with a sharp chefs knife. You can also chiffonade the spinach. But personally, I didn’t have time for rolling all that spinach, so I just smashed it into a wad and chopped as thinly as possible.
It’s strawberry season in Southern California! It makes me so happy that I can eat fresh strawberries grown locally. Not only do local strawberries taste better, but they are much better for the enviroment than buying imported fruit. So go pick up some strawberries from your local farmers market and make this salad. It makes for a wonderful side dish or it can be eaten as a meal on it’s own. It’s nutritionally balanced because it includes foods from all five food groups.
Have you ever had farro before? Have you ever heard of farro?
- 2 cups dry farro, cooked according to package directions
- 1.5 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 cups spinach, finely sliced
- ¾ cup walnuts, toasted
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 strawberries
- 15 basil leaves
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- Mixed cooked farro with all ingredients through basil. Taste. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Add feta cheese to top.
- For dressing, add all ingredients to a food processor. Process for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Pour half of the salad dressing over farro mixture and stir. Add additional dressing to taste.
- Can serve immediately or chill covered in the refrigerator.